Billing & Collections Specialist« Return
St. James Parish Hospital is now hiring a Billing and Collections Specialist. A highschool diploma (or equivalent) and one year of related healthcare experience is required.
The Billing and Collections Specialist contributes to the financial viability of the organization by ensuring accounts have been properly billed and reimbursed.
Responsibilities include contacting the appropriate insurance company to secure and expedite payments through the follow-up and appeals resolution processes and acting as a functional leader or reference source.
This position requires discretion and good judgement in decision-making and representation of the hospital. Work situations are varied and require extensive insurance billing, follow-up and appeal knowledge and strong customer service skills.
This Billing and Collections Specialist provides the link in communication between hospital and the patient, insurance companies/third party payers and the provider of service or departmental staff.
- Reviews and evaluates outstanding and/or denied accounts, expediting resolution and ensuring a current status
- Contacts insurance company/third party to collect outstanding payments
- Researches unpaid/denied claims through phone contact and/or payer websites to determine if claim needs to be rebilled or if in process
- Reschedules follow-up activity if confirmation of payment is not obtained
- Researches and appeals denied claims from third party payer, determining steps that need to be taken for the purpose of securing payment, including but not limited to: interacting with department personnel and third party payers in the denial process
- Handles situations that require research or adaptation of response in order to solve a problem account
- Responds to requests for information, supporting documentation and other activities required to expedite and receive payment on claim
- Contacts insurance company/third parties, patients, physicians, and/or departmental staff to obtain necessary or missing information
- Escalates any issues or concerns regarding individual insurance companies, including problem accounts when appropriate intervention is required
- Demonstrates and maintains knowledge of payers’ billing and reimbursement policies and procedures and complies with such regulations
Requirements:One year of directly related experience in a Healthcare Setting
NAHAM or AAHAM Certification (preferred)
Computer and Typing Skills
Excellent Public Relations Skills
High School Diploma (or equivalent)
Shift:Monday - Friday (8-hour shifts)
You will be directed to St. James Parish Hospital’s Workforce Management System to complete your application. Click the appropriate link below.
Click Here to select the relevant job opening, create a new account and apply online.
Click Here to log in to UKG, click the My Career icon, then click Apply for Job
Thank you for your interest in joining our hospital family. St. James Parish Hospital is centrally located directly between New Orleans and Baton Rouge. Our beautiful facility is a community hospital that serves the River Parishes—known for great food, big families, and a vibrant history. We invite you to learn more about our hospital, family-like culture, and amazing benefits. Follow us on Facebook to stay connected and learn about future career opportunities.
If you need further information, please contact us at HR@sjph.org