The Chef is responsible for preparing and cooking food for hospital patients, employees and visitors while ensuring a safe and efficient food-service experience. Candidates must be able to function independently. A culinary certification is required.
- Plan or participate in the planning of menus and the utilization of food surpluses and leftovers, taking into account a probable number of guests, marketing conditions, the popularity of various dishes and the menu cycle
- Estimate food consumption and purchases
- Requisition of foodstuffs and kitchen supplies
- Participate in a weekly inventory of foodstuffs and kitchen supplies
- Review menus, analyze recipes and determine food items for menu production
- Supervise production personnel and coordinate their assignments to ensure economical and timely food production
- Observe methods of food preparation and cooking, sizes of portions and the garnishing of foods to ensure they are prepared in a safe and nutritious manner
- Test cooked foods as needed to ensure food meets high standards
- Train newly hired cooks and food production workers with practices of the kitchen
- Establish and enforce safety, sanitation and proper food handling standards for the kitchen
- Maintain established systems and training programs to provide a safe working environment
- Comply with OSHA regulations and other local, state and federal regulations
- Recognize and adopt the appropriate menus and recipes to the specific needs of the patient population and demonstrate knowledge of specific issues directly related to the age(s) of the patient population
Requirements:A minimum of 2 years experience and culinary certification required
Ability to communicate (both verbally and written) effectively with clients, customers of clients and support staff
High School Diploma or Equivalent
Shift:Varies (weekday 8-hour shifts, rotating weekends and holiday 12-hour shifts)
You will be directed to St. James Parish Hospital’s Workforce Management System to complete your application. Click the appropriate link below.
Click Here to select the relevant job opening, create a new account and apply online.
Click Here to log in to UKG, click the My Career icon, then click Apply for Job
Thank you for your interest in joining our hospital family. St. James Parish Hospital is centrally located directly between New Orleans and Baton Rouge. Our beautiful facility is a community hospital that serves the River Parishes—known for great food, big families, and a vibrant history. We invite you to learn more about our hospital, family-like culture, and amazing benefits. Follow us on Facebook to stay connected and learn about future career opportunities.
If you need further information, please contact us at HR@sjph.org