PRN Cook« Return
St. James Parish Hospital is now hiring a PRN Cook to join our Nutrition Services Team.
The Cook is responsible for preparing, seasoning and cooking food for hospital patients, employees, visitors and special events/catering. The cook provides assistance in serving foods to patients, working in the cafeteria tray line and maintaining sales in the dining room via a cash register. Candidates must be able to function independently.
- Prepares and cooks entrees, starches, vegetables, salads, desserts, bread, and beverages and other food items within the department standards using standardized recipes
- Follows menus and production sheets for all patients, staff, and visitors
- Performs all functions for catered events
- Learns and can demonstrate a working knowledge of all therapeutic and texture modification diets with the awareness of age, growth, development, cultural and spiritual differences
- Applies a working knowledge of food service sanitation and utilizes techniques by the LA Health Department in handling and serving items to patients, staff and guests and demonstrates the proper techniques in storage, handling and holding of food items produced (HACCP)
- Demonstrates the ability to use, clean and maintain all food service equipment and maintain a clean, neat and orderly work area
- Removes all trash, garbage, and cardboard boxes from the department and properly disposes of them in the assigned dumpster
- Washes and sanitizes all food service equipment, pots and pans, dishes in the three compartment sink and safely and properly stores them in the appropriate area
- Washes and sanitizes all patient dishes using the automatic dish machine according to policy and procedure
- Monitors and records temperatures according to policy and procedure to ensure proper holding temperatures in the steam tables, warmers, coolers, freezers, and dish machine as demonstrated by quality-control checks
- Orients and trains new co-workers and assists team members in the completion of tasks and assignments to ensure continuity of service, actively supporting team development
- Procures food from the appropriate food storage areas, utilizing leftover foods according to standard, prepares and stocks nourishments and delivers them to the nursing units
- Maintains dry storage supply room, walk in cooler, walk in freezer, paper supply room and chemical supply room for orderliness and cleanliness
- Rotates stock in all dry storage areas, walk in cooler and walk in freezer
- Performs inventory and completes food order bi-weekly or as needed
- Stocks the patient tray line with all needed items prior to serving time
Requirements:Healthcare cooking experience (preferred)
High School Diploma or GED (preferred)
You will be directed to St. James Parish Hospital’s Workforce Management System to complete your application. Click the appropriate link below.
Click Here to select the relevant job opening, create a new account and apply online.
Click Here to log in to UKG, click the My Career icon, then click Apply for Job
Thank you for your interest in joining our hospital family. St. James Parish Hospital is centrally located directly between New Orleans and Baton Rouge. Our beautiful facility is a community hospital that serves the River Parishes—known for great food, big families, and a vibrant history. We invite you to learn more about our hospital, family-like culture, and amazing benefits. Follow us on Facebook to stay connected and learn about future career opportunities
If you need further information, please contact us at HR@sjph.org