St. James Parish Hospital’s Patient Financial Services team is here to assist you with your billing, insurance, and payment questions. Our experienced staff helps with filing claims and works to facilitate the business-end of your hospital experience so that you can focus on your health care. Upon discharge, you will receive an initial statement that includes a summary of your charges.
St. James Parish Hospital’s Patient Financial Services staff works as a patient advocate with insurance companies to alleviate your stress and ensure claims are processed and paid in a timely manner. We are a resource for you through the often-confusing claims and denial process.
As a courtesy to our patients, St. James Parish Hospital will file all necessary third-party payer claims once essential information has been provided to us. We have signed managed care/preferred provider contracts with the insurance carriers below. If you do not see your network here, we welcome you to contact us to verify status or inquire about the possibility of adding a new network.
- Aetna (Commercial, Medicare Advantage)
- Affordable/First Health PPO
- American Medical Security PPO
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield (Traditional, PPO, HMO, Medicare Select, Medicare Advantage)
- Cigna HMO, PPO
- Coventry Healthcare of LA
- Humana (Commercial, Medicare Advantage)
- Medicaid (We are a certified application site. CLICK HERE to learn more.)
- Medicaid Bayou Health Plans (United Healthcare Community Plan, Aetna Better Health, AmeriHealth Caritas, Healthy Blue, Louisiana Healthcare Connections)
- Multiplan PPO
- Pan American PPO
- Peoples Health
- PPO Plus
- Private Healthcare Systems (PHCS)
- United Healthcare (Commercial, Medicare Advantage)
- Universal Health Network PPO
- Vantage Health Plan (Commercial, Medicare Advantage)
After a third-party payment has either been received or denied, St. James Parish Hospital will send you a statement of your payment responsibilities. Monthly payment options are available. As needed, we work with patients to provide satisfactory payment schedules. For questions about payment options, call 225.869.5512, option 6.
If you receive certain tests or procedures during your hospital stay, you will receive multiple bills. For example, a patient may receive bills for services performed by a surgeon, or anesthesiologist and a radiologist (physician who reads x-rays). Also, if you have surgery that requires pathology services, you will receive bill for professional interpretation fees from the physician (pathologist) who evaluates the sample. Billing questions of these entities should be addressed to the contact information included on that particular billing statement.
Bill Pay Options
For your convenience, St. James Parish Hospital offers a variety of payment options. To make a payment directly, please visit the Cashier Window located through the main entrance of the hospital. Cash, check, debit cards, and credit cards are accepted. This option is available during normal business hours.
- 24/7 Secure Online Bill Pay (debit or credit cards accepted)
- Cashier (cash, check, debit, or credit cards accepted)
- Phone 225.869.5512, option 6 (debit or credit cards accepted)
- Mail (send payments with statement stub or account number):
St. James Parish Hospital
Attn. Business Office
1645 Lutcher Avenue
Lutcher, LA 70071
We are committed to helping you throughout the financial services process. If you have any questions about your bill or insurance claim, please call 225.869.5512, option 6.
PRICE ESTIMATE RESOURCES
St. James Parish Hospital understands the need for transparency in healthcare in regard to quality, satisfaction, and pricing. The Centers for Medicaid and Medicare (CMS) now requires hospitals to post their Standard Charges online. This list displays the “retail” price that virtually no patient will pay out-of-pocket once individual benefits, financial assistance, and/or contract rates are applied. Additionally, in compliance with the most recent Price Transparency Ruling, St. James Parish Hospital offers patients a price transparency tool to estimate costs.
Please review the additional resources and information below to help you better understand pricing and charges.
What is the difference between a charge and out-of-pocket expense?
Posted charges are the federally-required maximum list price for certain services. When comparing it to typical consumer goods, imagine it as the “retail” price of an item that has not yet been discounted by a coupon, sale, special, or contracted rate. Nearly no one will pay these “retail” prices or charges.
CLICK HERE to read a detailed article by the Federation of American Hospitals outlining differences between charges, costs, and payments.
How can I get the most accurate estimate of my out-of-pocket expenses?
Getting a price for a health service is not as clear as a retail item such as a TV, because healthcare prices are based on many different factors and formulas unique to every patient and every hospital. The price a patient pays is based on factors such as contractually negotiated rates from private insurance companies and internal financial assistance programs. In addition, CMS reimburses hospitals based on complex formulas that often pay less than the amount on the charge list.
We encourage patients to use our estimator tool which factors in some of the variables that differ between patients.
How can I get an actual estimate instead of a list price?
1. Since insurance companies often offer contracted rates for certain services, insured individuals are encouraged to contact Medicare or their commercial insurer to discuss factors that can affect price such as:
A. Provider Networks (in-network usually costs the patient less than out-of-network)
B. Individual Out-of-Pocket Responsibilities (deductibles, coinsurance, out-of-pocket maximums)
2. Sign-up on your provider website. Most insurance companies also have secure websites that offer you a snapshot of your plan offerings, out-of-pocket expenses, and deductible amounts met. In addition, the website may allow you to create an individualized estimate of patient expenses based on a provider, service and hospital.
3. Take advantage of our new online estimation tool. For the most accurate estimate, make sure to have your insurance information (if applicable) available.
4. Contact our hospital (see below). Our team can help get you a more accurate estimate or determine if you qualify for financial assistance.
Can I call the hospital for an estimate?
Yes. Our Financial Services Team is happy to help you get an estimate of out-of-pocket expenses before a service or procedure. Call 225.869.5512, option 0 and ask for “Registration.” Please have your insurance card available (if applicable).
CLICK HERE to view and/or download St. James Parish Hospital’s Standard Charge List. For a personalized estimate based on your individual benefits, contact our team at 225.869.5512, option 0. Ask to be connected to “Registration.”