YOU are the MOST important member of your Diabetes Care Team.
Diabetes cannot be cured, but with a proactive health plan, it can be successfully managed.
Take an active role in your care.
- Set personal goals
- Know your numbers
- Ask questions
- Have a care plan
Create a personalized a Care Plan.
- Schedule a Wellness Visit with your Primary Care Doctor or a Medicare Annual Wellness Visit each year
- Make a plan for how and when to check your blood sugar
- Make a schedule for when to take your diabetic medications
- Create a schedule for regular health check-ups
- Take advantage of FREE Diabetic Support Group Meetings held at 2pm the 2nd Tuesday of each month at the hospital
- Create a meal plan (contact us at 225.258.5928 to learn more about Medical Nutrition Therapy)
- Create a physical activity plan
- Determine and implement stress-relief activities
- Create a timeline and plan for meeting other health goals
Take advantage of local resources.
- Registered Dietitian
- Medicare Chronic Care Management (2 or more chronic conditions)
- 225.258.2066 or 225.258.2067
- Medical Nutrition Therapy (diabetic or prediabetic – physician referral required)
- Fax orders to 225.746.2981
Utilize local clinics.
- Lutcher Family Clinic* 225.869.9890
- St. James West Bank Clinic* 225.265.3013
- Poché Medical Clinic* 225.869.3493
- Wound Care Clinic* 877.295.2273
- St. James Urology Clinic* 225.258.2070
- Specialty Clinics 225.258.5930
- St. James Urgent Care 225.258.2040
- Emergency Room 225.258.5949
*Departments of St. James Parish Hospital