Medical Lab Scientist-Lead« Return
St. James Parish Hospital is now hiring a Medical Lab Scientist-Lead who will be responsible for performing chemistry, hematology, urinalysis, serology, microbiology and blood bank sample analysis in a timely and accurate manner according to established hospital and departmental policies and procedures in addition to assisting with day-to-day supervision of technical lab employees.
- Demonstrate technical expertise regarding tests systems and operation of instruments; acts as key operator of instruments in designated departments.
- Consistently demonstrate critical thinking and problem solving skills by sorting through technical issues and presenting effective solutions in a timely manner.
- Monitor test performance and quality control daily
- Immediately inform leader of unusual results or departmental concerns
- Consistently demonstrate multi-tasking and prioritizing skills by completing non-routine work assignments, projects, or training by assigned due dates without compromising the quality of the routine work
- Train and evaluates testing personnel to include regular in-service and education as needed.
- Assist with coordinating and evaluating technical competency assessment for testing personnel following regulatory guidelines.
- Assist with maintaining and overseeing proficiency testing program requirements
- Assist with departmental policy reviews and updates
- Order lab test accurately in the LIS computer system
- Receive lab samples in the LIS computer system for processing
- Process and analyze lab samples appropriately for each lab department
- Ensure quality testing and instrument performance adheres to regulatory compliance guidelines
- Maintain competency requirements
- Collect drug screens using correct form and generate correct charge
- Label and handle lab specimens properly
- Perform venipuncture to obtain blood sample using appropriate type of equipment to adjust to patient age. Use two identifiers to identify patient when collecting samples
- Ensure supplies are well stocked in all areas. Monitor inventory and submits requests for supply orders to be processed by Materials Management
- Answer phone calls, questions and patient requests with courtesy
- Maintain an organized and clean working area
- Research and resolve problems with lab samples and test reports by looking up patients results in the LIS computer system and fax to proper personnel
- Support departmental goals and objectives
- Other related duties as assigned
Requirements:Certified as a Medical Laboratory Technologist/Medical Laboratory Scientist/Clinical Laboratory Scientist
Current Louisiana State License as a Clinical Laboratory Scientist-Generalist or Clinical Laboratory Scientist-Specialist
Current BLS certification
Mental and visual acuity is essential for this job (the ability to discern and differentiate colors by demonstration of successful colorblindness assessment is required)
Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited school in Medical Technology/Medical Laboratory Science/Clinical Laboratory Science
You will be directed to St. James Parish Hospital’s Workforce Management System to complete your application. Click the appropriate link below.
Click Here to select the relevant job opening, create a new account and apply online.
Click Here to log in to UKG, click the My Career icon, then click Apply for Job
Thank you for your interest in joining our hospital family. St. James Parish Hospital is centrally located directly between New Orleans and Baton Rouge. Our beautiful facility is a community hospital that serves the River Parishes—known for great food, big families, and a vibrant history. We invite you to learn more about our hospital, family-like culture, and amazing benefits. Follow us on Facebook to stay connected and learn about future career opportunities.
If you need further information, please contact us at HR@sjph.org